The Department of Public Health of State University of Bangladesh is the pioneer among the private universities to launch Master of Public Health (MPH) Program. Since May 2003, more than 1076 students including many foreign students from Nepal, Uganda have graduated from this Department. The pursuit of knowledge through MPH program not only leads to a health–educated society and a highly trained health professional work force, but also contributes significantly to the national and global health improvement.
To be the leader in Public Health Education by providing Public Health Professionals with skills and expertise necessary to improve the health status and quality of life of people in Bangladesh and other Low- and Middle-Income countries.
· To develop skilled Public Health Professionals to meet society's interest in assuring conditions in which people can lead a healthy quality life.
· Provide quality education to think critically & creatively to solve public health related problems.
· Enhance research skills for new insights and innovative solutions to meet various challenges.
· Contribute to develop proper skills to communicate ideas & views clearly & effectively using multi-disciplinary approaches
Public Health has emerged as an important academic discipline globally. The field of public health is constantly evolving in response to the changing needs of communities and populations around the world. In the developed world, public health education is well- established as a prestigious branch of health science. However, in Low- and Middle-Income countries, the public health education and health promotion strategies need further strengthening. In achieving, SDGs, role of public health is critical. The MPH program of State University of Bangladesh (SUB) is committed to contribute to promoting the health status of the population of Bangladesh and other Low- and Middle-Income countries. This program aims at imparting training for the multidisciplinary professionals engaged in health care with required skills to conduct research, develop appropriate policy, and manage healthcare service.
SUB’S MPH PROGRAM
The Department of Public Health faculty a group of vibrant, skilled and experienced individuals from multi-disciplinary background who provide exceptional and internationally recognized education in the field of public health. Public health professionals have a major role in health care planning, development and management within and outside the health-care delivery system. The diversity and complexity of professional practice and projections of future population health trends require creativity not only in public health practices, but also in the related disciplines to meet the challenges of future.
· MPH Regular
· MPH Friday
Total Credit Hours: 51
SIX MONTHS SEMESTER
· Spring (January-June)
· Fall (July-December)
· 18 months for MPH Regular Program
· 24 months for MPH Friday Program
· Core Courses: 7 (19 credits)
· Elective Courses: 5 (13 credits)
· Optional Courses: 2 (6 credits)
· Dissertation: 1 (10 credits)
· Practicum/Internship: 1 (3 credits)
The MPH Program offers 7 core courses, 40 elective courses/ optional courses. There is arrangement for flexible options as per need of the respective learners which facilitates the completion of course within short time. However, there are provisions for experienced students to accelerate the six months allocated to dissertation and to have the final internship waived, thus completing the full course, in one calendar year. A series of short courses are also offered on the core subjects at the program.
MAJOR AREAS OF SPECIALIZATION OF MPH
· Occupational and Environmental Health
· Population and Reproductive Health
· Hospital Management
· Public Health Nutrition
· Health Informatics
· Health Education & Health Promotion
· Public Health Dentistry
· Community Ophthalmology
· Health Care Management
· Climate change and Disaster Management
· Policy Advocacy
CORE PUBLIC HEALTH COURSES
· PUBH 1013 Epidemiology I
· PUBH 1023 Biostatistics I
· PUBH 3112 Health Economics and Health Care Financing
· PUBH 1053 Behavioral Sciences
· PUBH 2063 Public Health Administration & Management
· PUBH 1042 Independent Field Study on Community Diagnosis in Public Health
· PUBH 2083 Research Methodology
· Permanent campus offers spacious and air-conditioned class and seminar rooms with multimedia facilities.
· Flexible tuition fee payment option in installments.
· Waivers available for eligible applicants.
· Well-equipped modern library with e-library facilities.
· Wi-Fi Internet connection throughout the campus.
· Hostel facilities available upon request.
· Cafeteria offering fresh food.
· Transportation services are available from various city points to the permanent campus.
LEARNING ENVIRONMENT AT THE DEPT. OF PUBLIC HEALTH
· Case-based and Outcome Based Education that adheres to national standard and curriculum as well as international accreditation (recognized by North American World Education Services).
· Established collaborations with various national and international universities and organizations.
· Opportunity to publish research in peer-reviewed journals.
· Internships, Field trips &co-curricular activities, including workshops, seminars, and conferences.
· Prominent national and international experts deliver guest lectures.
EXITING COLLABORATION WITH UNIVERSITIES:
· Rutgers University, USA
· Hiroshima University, Japan
· Monash University, Australia
· Jahangir Nagar University
· Bangladesh University of Health Sciences (BUHS)
· Bangladesh Medical College
· BRAC University
· University of British Columbia
· United Arab Emirates University
· DukeNUSMedical School
· Brown University
· Health Economics, Dhaka University
LINKS WITH INSTITUTIONS AND ORGANIZATIONS:
· Asia Foundation
· Hashimukh Foundation
· Bangladesh Center for Communication Programs (BCCP)
· Bangladesh Tobacco Control Research network (BTCRN)
· Incepta Pharmaceuticals Limited
· Jaago foundation
· Centre for Policy Dialogue- CPD
· Power and Participation Research Centre- PPRC
· Bangladesh Occupational Safety, Health and Environment (OSHE)
· Centre for the Rehabilitation of the Paralysed (CRP)
· Life Spring
· Bangladesh Legal Aid and Services Trust (BLAST)
The university operates a bimesters system i.e., Spring (January-June) and Fall (July-December). The students are required to fulfill the university admission requirement according to UGC guidelines. The admission forms and relevant information can be collected from the Admission Office. Completed applications together with required documents should be submitted to the Admission Office as per deadlines.
For convenience of the graduate students, the admission office is open on Fridays and Saturdays besides the normal university working hours.
WHO CAN APPLY?
· MBBS, BDS or equivalent degree from any medical colleges recognized by Bangladesh Medical and Dental Council (BMDC). Intern doctors can apply
· Post-graduates or Masters in Biological or Relevant Sciences
· B.Sc. Nursing as recognized by respective National Nursing council or equivalent degrees
· B.Sc. in Health Education or equivalent degree from an accredited institution
· Applicants must hold any of the following degrees: Bachelor degrees in Pharmacy, Nursing, Lab. Science, Physiotherapy, Medical Technology, Nutrition, Social Welfare, Psychology, Anthropology, Gender Studies, Development Studies, Economics, Health Economics, Home Economics, or in any other Biological or Social Science discipline, from an accredited institution
· Professionals working in government, NGOs, hospitals, and other healthcare organizations who have a interest in Public Health
· At least Second class in all exams or a minimum CGPA of 2.5 on a 4-point scale
· Applicants having TOEFL score of minimum 500 or IELTS score 5.00 or other equivalent English Proficiency Test score will be given preference
· As the course is conducted in English, applicants should have good command in English
For Admission: 0176666 2120, 0176666 3557, 0176666 1555, 0176666 3558
Call Center: 16665
Department of Public Health: 01766663353 (9:00 am - 5:00 pm)
Courses & Credit hours
|Areas||No. of Course||Credit|
Semester wise course details
|Title & Description of Course||Credits||Hours/week|
|Core Public Health Courses
|PUBH 1013 Epidemiology I
|PUBH 1023 Biostatistics I
|PUBH 1042 Independent Field Study on Community Diagnosis in Public Health
|PUBH 2063 Public Health Administration & Management
|PUBH 2083 Research Methodology
|PUBH 3112 Health Economics and Health Care financing
|Other Courses (Elective and Optional)
|PUBH 1032 Demography & Population Dynamics
|PUBH 2053 Environmental Health
|PUBH 1072 Information, Education & Communication (IEC)
|PUBH 2093 Epidemiology II (Applied Epidemiology)
|PUBH 2102 Biostatistics II
|PUBH 3122 Reproductive Health
|PUBH 3133 Maternal and Child Health
|PUBH 3132 Disease Control (Communicable)
|PUBH 3142 Disease Control (Non-Communicable Disease)
|PUBH 3153 Public Health Nutrition
|PUBH 3163 Health Education and Health Promotion
|PUBH 3173 International Health
|PUBH 3183 Health Information Technology
|PUBH 3192 Health Rights, Welfare and Ethics-social context
|PUBH 3202 Public Health Aspects of HIV/ AIDS
|PUBH 3212 Tropical Medicine
|PUBH 3222 Adolescent Health
|PUBH 3232 Geriatrics (Aging—The Epidemiology and Health service needs of the elderly)
|PUBH 3242 Tobacco Control in the 21st Century
|PUBH 3252 Health Journalism
|PUBH 3262 Mental Health
|PUBH 3272 Public Health Genetics
|PUBH 3283 Clinical Epidemiology
|PUBH 3292 Bangladesh Studies
|PUBH 3302 Teaching Methodology
|PUBH 3312 Case Studies in Public Health
|PUBH 1320 Introduction to Medical Terminology
|PUBH 3332 Principles of Microbiology, Parasitology and Medical Entomology
|PUBH 3343 Occupational Hazards & Diseases
|PUBH 3352 Environmental Toxicology
|PUBH 3362 Clinical Nutrition
|PUBH 3373 Community Dentistry & Epidemiology of Dental Diseases
|PUBH 3382 Gender and Development issues in Public Health
|PUBH 3393 Hospital Administration
|PUBH 3402 Hospital & Health Care facility Planning
|PUBH 3413 Human Resource Management in Hospital
|PUBH 3423 Practicum or internship (with health development agency-posting or home)
|PUBH 4310 Dissertation (guided research design, data collection, analysis, interpretation and presentation)
|PUBH 2442 Introduction to Community Ophthalmology including epidemiology of Blinding Eye diseases
|PUBH 3452 Design & Analysis of Epidemiological Studies related to Eye disease
|PUBH 3462 Childhood Eye Diseases and Ocular infections and its treatment and Control
|PUBH 3472 Non-communicable Eye Diseases: Cataract, Glaucoma, Diabetic Retinopathy, ARMD, Refractive error: its treatment and control
|PUBH 3482 Pediatric Oral Health and Preventive Dentistry
|PUBH 3493 Fundamentals of Health Care Management
|PUBH 3503 Health Care Marketing
|PUBH 3513 Health Care Information Management
|PUBH 3523 Health Care Quality Management
|PUBH 3533 Legal and Ethical issues in Health Care
|PUBH 3543 Health Care Financial Management
|PUBH 3553 Planning and Designing of Health Care facilities
|PUBH 3563 Climate change and Disaster Management
|PUBH 3573 Policy Advocacy
|MPH (Friday)||246,500 TK|
|MPH (Regular)||219,200 TK|