The Department of English Studies at SUB began its journey as a full-fledged department in 2003. The objective of the department is mainly to develop student’s English language proficiency, and intellectual and inter-personal qualities and characteristics. The programs offered by the Department are multi-syllabus-based combining language and literature courses in order to make career options wide and free ranging from teaching to media, government to multi-national jobs. Keeping this in mind the department offers Bachelor of Arts and Masters of Arts in English curricula that are not only interesting but also provide a vibrant, stimulating and supportive study environment.
To produce compassionate, enlightened and qualified English graduates who can accommodate themselves in the fast-paced competitive world.
· To equip students with necessary 21st century skills so that they can excel professionally and become global citizens.
· To facilitate a comprehensive learning of English and other foreign languages as well as providing the knowledge of the latest developments in the field of language teaching and learning.
· To provide a conducive academic environment that inspires students to nurture their intellectual and artistic curiosity and creativity along with a love towards nature.
· To enable the graduates to excel in different professional arenas by exposing them to a multidisciplinary curriculum.
· To develop a sense of unified humanity by exposing them to a multilingual and multicultural environment.
BA in English
MA in English Literature
MA in Applied Linguistics and English Language Teaching (ELT)
The university academic programs follow a trimester system consisting of Spring (January-June) and Fall (July-December). The students are required to fulfill the university admission requirements in consistence with UGC guidelines. The admission forms and relevant information can be collected from the Admission Office. Completed applications together with required documents should be submitted to the Admission Office as per deadlines.
For convenience of the students seeking admission into Bachelor or Masters programs, the admission office is also open on Fridays and Saturdays besides the normal university working days and hours.
MA in English Literature
· B.A. (Hons.) in English (3 or 4 years), or graduate in any discipline with one-year M.A. (Preliminary) in English.
English Literature Credit
Hours to be completed :36
Name: Nur Mohammad Ayat
Contact no. 01766663564
Telephone No.: +880-2-58151781-5, 9128329, 9140960, 09613782338 Ext. 110
Courses & Credit hours
|Areas||No. of Course||Credit|
Semester wise course details
|Title & Description of Course||Credits||Hours/week|
|ENG 13511 Shakespeare
|ENG 13512 20th Century Poetry
|ENG 13513 20th Century Fiction
|ENG 13514 American Literature-I
|ENG 13521 20th Century Drama
|ENG 13522 American Literature-II
|ENG 13523 Continental Fiction
|ENG 13524 Translation Studies
|ENG 13531 Post-Colonial Literature
|ENG 13532 Contemporary Literary Theory
|ENG 13533 Culture and Media Studies
|ENG 13534 Research Methodology and Dissertation
|MA in English||179,750 TK|